Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Mutianyu - The Great Wall of China

When I was last in Beijing I was visiting my mom who lives there at the moment and we decided to visit the Great Wall of China at Mutianyu now I have to say this was a great visit for me and I highly recommend a place to stay called the Brickyard Inn it was originally a glazed Brickyard but now its a small boutique hotel where every room faces the Great wall. All of the rooms are the same and they are open concept, literally everything including the toilet. When we arrived in the early morning they didn't have our room ready but they locked our bags away and let us have some of the delicious breakfast buffet. Now Brickyard also owns a restaurant called The Schoolhouse which used to actually be the Mutianyu Schoolhouse. It is a western style restaurant and they also own a shuttle service that takes you from the hotel to the wall to the restaurant. 



On our first day we went to the wall you have to buy tickets to take a sky rail up.

Once we were on the wall there was a lot of walking involved and I don't know if I thought it was flat but I didn't bring my tennis shoes from Beijing only my FitFlops which was a mistake because the soonest down point is from Tower 14 to tower six its is a LONG Walk this is a map with the trails and we are not hikers so no trails for us we took the sky rail up and the Toboggan down.

Here is a map of the area from The Schoolhouse you can see the trails. 

Here are some pictures from our walk on the wall...my legs were shaking tword the end. 




After this we decided to walk down to the Schoolhouse you will pass many pushy vendors just remember this the only way they make money you can find some cool cheap things here as well as really nice expensive things. When we got to the SchoolHouse we had a lovely lunch and headed back to our hotel...we stayed a few days at Mutianyu but its really up to you we decided to go back because when we first arrived it was cloudy and on our second trip is was sunny which made for better pictures :) I hope you visits Mutianyu it is only about an hour outside of Beijing!

Also on a side note they have a beautiful glass working shop at The Schoolhouse I got an amazing Vase their but they also have these wineglasses that make music notes you can view demonstrations twice a day when they make the pieces. I got to watch my vase being made so I have pictures of it being made which is really cool. I would recommend seeing the free show.



If you have any questions please feel free to message me or leave a comment. 

-Tanya

I know your wondering does she have twitter? Of Course I do please follow me! @TanyaNeshat





No comments:

Post a Comment